How do I open my Google Maps route in Adobe Illustrator?
In Google Maps, you have the “My maps” link. If you are logged in with your Google Account, this is the place where you can save your driving directions, or locations or routes you can create on Google maps.
For a project I was doing, I needed to export a route I had drawn in Google Maps to a path I could use in Illustrator. This is how I did it:
- Create your route in Google Maps.
- Save it in “My Maps”.
- Click on the “View in Google Earth” link (in the blue bar above the map right).
- You can now download your route as a .kml file.
- Surf to indiemapper.com/app/
- Now open the downloaded .kml file.
- After successfully opening the .kml file, click on the “export” button (top right).
- Save the .svg file.
- Open the saved .svg file in Illustrator.
Status: Tested it, works.